“It’s super awful, but people should know about this.“ It’s time once again for stories and outrage!
Also, swears. Lisa, Christina, Carolyn, and Sarah talk temperance, from the movement’s moderate beginnings to hardcore terrible nonsense. All the racism and bad stuff you could ask for, right out of the gate! But did you know that the temperance movement and women’s suffrage were strongly linked to each other? Or, that homing donkeys were used for smuggling booze over the border into Texas? Grab your teacup from under the sink and listen in.
Bee…verages in this episode
Deya, England – ‘Tappy Pils’ British Lager, 4.4%
- Still Austin Whisky Company Gin and Club Soda – https://stillaustin.com/
- Black’s Brewery, Kinsale – Pineapple IPA – https://www.blacksbrewery.com/beers/
- S.Beer Light Lager – https://cutt.ly/2cpwZhi
- and a cup of tea!
- Prohibition Documentary – https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/
- Prohibition-era cocktails – https://legourmet.tv/cocktails
- Lending the episode its title: https://library.nashville.org/blog/2020/01/death-john-barleycorn-prohibition-nashville
- Tenessee: https://cutt.ly/JcpqN4A
- Texas: https://cutt.ly/vcpq4ME
- Wayne Wheeler
- Volstead Act
- Mabel Walker Willebrandt
- Stuff You Missed in History Class: https://cutt.ly/AcpweLv
- Lisa’s Article: https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/10/beer-history-german-american-brewers-before-prohibition.html
- Prohibition and race relations: https://cutt.ly/HcpwhxG
- Prohibition and the KKK: https://cutt.ly/DcpwOUi