Delve into beer history with us at your peril! It’s part one of malt tonics and medicinal beers!
Christina talks to Lisa and Bean about malt tonics and the old-timey (or is it new-timey?) ways they were marketed to women, doctors, women doctors, the healthy, the sick, and everyone from tots to wrinklies. What went into a malt tonic, besides arsenic and old lace? Christina recounts a recipe she recreated from an old patent. Bean tries not to squirm too much at the retelling.
- From the Collections: Drugs by Lisa Grimm
- So I Made a Malt Tonic… by Dr. Christina Wade
- Acorus Calamus
- Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine
- You’re Dead to Me – Grainne O’Malley
- Malta Guinness
- Wikipedia – Malta (soft drink)
- Wikipedia – Malt beer